Purple? Blue? Pink? Orange? Yellow? Green? Mermaid? Unicorn? Thinking about those beautiful fashion colors in your hair? Here’s what you should know before scheduling your appointment:
1. Unless you’re already platinum blonde, your hair will have to be lightened for the color to either show up or have any longevity. Most fashion colors require your hair to be pale, pale blonde or white for the true tones to be achieved.
2. Be comfortable losing some length after the lightening process. Chances are, you will need a haircut after lightening your hair.
3. Do your research. Make sure you schedule a consultation with the stylist before you schedule an appointment. Make sure your stylist is committed to maintaining the integrity of your hair. They might not be able to get you to the pale, pale blonde needed in one session. Your hair might require some treatments to strengthen in before being lightened. Make sure you see pictures of their fashion color work, as well.
4. It isn’t a quick process, and it isn’t cheap. Depending on the length and thickness of your hair as well as past hair history, you are looking at several hours at the salon, maybe more. The cost is harder to calculate; that’s why it’s best to have a consultation with your stylist. Depending on past hair history, it could become a color correction. Most stylists I know charge $70-$100 per hour for corrective color.
This mermaid hair took 5 1/2 hours from start to finish including processing time.
5. Fashion colors require high maintenance. These colors will fade way faster than permanent color. There are tips for making your color last longer, but the fading is inevitable with every single shampoo. To keep your color vibrant, you will be scheduling regular appointments every 3-5 weeks. (I refresh my own color every 3-4 weeks.)
Happy mermaid and unicorn hair!